What not to do when you make your own antenna

A place to ponder randomly
davidm71

What not to do when you make your own antenna

Post by davidm71 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 am

So I was trying to make my own homemade wifi antenna gun following the guide of this russian guy on youtube where you basically cut out copper disks of various sizes and arrange them on a mount. The youtube poster claimed it dramatically improved his reception and ability to pull in different ssid signals. I also follow this other scottish guy that improved the russians design where he stated that the ground and main element on the antenna should not touch or else you could fry something. So I used plumbers tape and covered areas where there could be conduction and hooked it up to a $20 dollar usb wifi stick. All of a sudden I heard a little static and then got a blue screen on my laptop after first loosing my usb ports.

The wifi stick unfortunately bit the dust and no longer works. I used a volt meter and found out that my plumbers tape stripped and current was getting through. There was conduction of current. Luckily my usb ports still worked when I rebooted but the stick is dead. Rip.

:xpissed:

e38BimmerFN

Re: What not to do when you make your own antenna

Post by e38BimmerFN » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 pm

:doh: