Best Gbps modem for Comcast Service

A place to ponder randomly
Xymox
Site Admin

Best Gbps modem for Comcast Service

Post by Xymox » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 am

This is a continuation of the thread on DSLReports where we can discuss unmoderated..

My original post that got removed:

Devious: All you use is wifi ?

Said by Spidey4:
Uh, yes. Along with basically everyone else too.

What do you do, sit next to your router with your laptop and plug it in with Ethernet? Plug your cell phone into Ethernet?

Most homes aren't even wired with Ethernet. My router is in another room.

You're delusional if you think most people use Ethernet, or even still own a desktop computer lol

I have no issues with latency or jitter, as the test confirmed, and the bufferbloat test confirmed.
My reply that got deleted :

Im coming in late to this discussion... Let me be clear on this.. Your a moron...

So.. No one serious considers any of these tests having any real meaning of course. Follow my guide on my site »badmodems.com/Pinrplotte ··· ions.htm

You do know what DNS is right ? You realize even small amounts of jitter and latency effect DNS performance to your wifi device. These will be felt in page loads just doing web browsing.

I have a $3000 router, a 40Gbps optical link to my seriously tweaked PC and my own 3 FreeBSD Unbound DNS servers on my own network. Thats how I browse the web. You use a,,, hahaha,,, a "phone"... Hahaha... Yea I can see why you can't see a issue.. Wait till your phne gets better, THEN you will see performance issues with a Puma. Right now, yea, you have sad hardware.

The Puma 6, and 7, have a litany of issues related to poorly debugged firmware tat effect many things beyond the ones currently published. The Look Up Table issues create weird problems that are not resolvable without new SILICON. The "fix" you discuss is a bandaid that just keeps the device from being DoSed into oblivion.

You realize that DOCSIS 4 is addressing Jitter and latency because its been recognized as a issue right ?

What is your background in networking ?

( Deleted link )

( Deleted Link )

Oh wait... My bad... You can't even run a real testing tool on a phone... oops.. Sorry...

If you responded, you can find it in the DSLReports messages where it got deleted by the moderator.. Then just post it below so we can pick up where we left off..

Xymox
Site Admin

Re: Best Gbps modem for Comcast Service

Post by Xymox » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:27 am

So my response above, which was out of line, was removed from DSLReports and that was 1000% the right thing to do. It was out of line for the rules there. I respect that decision. I was clearly wrong.. It was also disrespectful towards DCSpidey4. For that I apologize for doing that in such a public way. However,,,, those are my views. I am sticking to them. I can however be swayed to other views and will admit FULLY if I am wrong technically, ethically or morally. After reading all of Spidey's posts from multiple places however, I am coming into this with some bias.

I have invited DCSpidey4 over here to continue the discussion on my site where we can have a unmoderated discussion.

This will be a FULLY unmoderated discussion. ALSO if DCSpidey4 would like me to delete this thread completly now or later, I will do this on request. I would count that tho as a win for my side.

Its OK to insult me, threaten me, or anything. I will just smile and enjoy it.

e38BimmerFN

Re: Best Gbps modem for Comcast Service

Post by e38BimmerFN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:16 pm

I hope you apologized to him on DSLReports as well. :shifty:
:naughty: