Gaming with Full Cone vs Symmetric NAT Routers

Where to discus how to best use a modem
e38BimmerFN

Re: Gaming with Full Cone vs Symmetric NAT Routers

Post by e38BimmerFN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 am

Ya yes, NG and Linksys are not good for supporting of local DNS side addresses. Kind of a shame.

I just got the TP-Link C5400X and it does support local LAN side custom DNS. Which is nice. :dance:

Unfortunately Port Address Restricted is the NAT kind. I'm still checking to see if there is any FULL CONE NAT support. :think:

Other than this, seems like a nice router. Will be doing some two xbox gaming with it and see how it goes.

RamGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:34 am
Got the RT-AC86U configured today and UPNP + Full Cone NAT and finally I have Open NAT on all Windows 10 clients, in CoD: Black Ops 4 on all clients while playing the game at the same time and on all the consoles!

crawlgsx

Post by crawlgsx » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:12 am

Boy the list is growing with more and more new fails! I am fearful for upgrading past AC (AX/Wifi6/etc) as it seems like every new router fails to provide open nat with 2 xboxs. Part of me really wants to move on from the XR500 but I am clinging on to Full Cone NAT for dear life :XD:

crawlgsx

Post by crawlgsx » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:12 am

Boy the list is growing with more and more new fails! I am fearful for upgrading past AC (AX/Wifi6/etc) as it seems like every new router fails to provide open nat with 2 xboxs. Part of me really wants to move on from the XR500 but I am clinging on to Full Cone NAT for dear life :XD:

chiefpoppindude

Post by chiefpoppindude » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am

After weeks and weeks of research and unwillingness to get rid of x86 hardware, I finally got full cone NAT working on OpenWRT, I had to create a custom build of OpenWRT, but once done I got it to work. I had to set up an Ubuntu VM as my build server to create the custom build, flashed it to a hard drive, popped it into my server and now I get full cone NAT on OpenWRT. Would definitely prefer running pfSense, but no matter what you get stuck with symmetric NAT. OpenWRT is a great alternative! Plus the QoS is awesome too!
Last edited by chiefpoppindude on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

e38BimmerFN

Post by e38BimmerFN » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:15 am

Was curious if anyone could get FULL CONE NAT on WRT.

Is there a process or do you have a specific build repo for other users to check out? I presume you built a version specific for a certain mfr and model router you installed it on?
chiefpoppindude wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am
After weeks and weeks of research and unwillingness to get rid of x86 hardware, I finally got full cone NAT working on OpenWRT, I had to create a custom build of OpenWRT, but once done I got it to work. I had a set up an Ubuntu VM as my build server to create the custom build, flashed it to a hard drive, popped it into my server and now I get full cone NAT on OpenWRT. Would definitely prefer running pfSense, but no matter what you get stuck with symmetric NAT. OpenWRT is a great alternative! Plus the QoS is awesome too!

chiefpoppindude

Post by chiefpoppindude » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:40 am

Yes, I built the x86 version and installed it onto a server. But like you said, this would open up full cone NAT for A LOT of routers since OpenWRT works for many different routers. The only catch is that you need to do a custom build. I’m working on a video tutorial, but I will also push up my repo which will have my .config file and the x86 images pre built.
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:15 am
Was curious if anyone could get FULL CONE NAT on WRT.

Is there a process or do you have a specific build repo for other users to check out? I presume you built a version specific for a certain mfr and model router you installed it on?
chiefpoppindude wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am
After weeks and weeks of research and unwillingness to get rid of x86 hardware, I finally got full cone NAT working on OpenWRT, I had to create a custom build of OpenWRT, but once done I got it to work. I had a set up an Ubuntu VM as my build server to create the custom build, flashed it to a hard drive, popped it into my server and now I get full cone NAT on OpenWRT. Would definitely prefer running pfSense, but no matter what you get stuck with symmetric NAT. OpenWRT is a great alternative! Plus the QoS is awesome too!

e38BimmerFN

Post by e38BimmerFN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Ok, this is kewl. Thank you for posting this and making a video for those who wanna dive in to this.
There is only one router mfr left that allows FULL CONE NAT on some of there routers. NetGear.

Will be helpful to have an alternative source though with WRT. ;)