PSA - Motorola MB8600 & AQM turned on by default

Discussion of modems worthy of praise.
kc6108

PSA - Motorola MB8600 & AQM turned on by default

Post by kc6108 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 pm

In previous posts on here, I have mentioned that I have been very satisfied with Cable ONE's GigaONE gigabit Internet plan.

Over at DSLReports I wrote about how CableONE has been keeping the firmware updated on my MB8600, including bringing back the Spectrum Analyzer:

Cable ONE - Motorola MB8600 Firmware Update - 8600-18.2.12

In that post I mentioned DOCSIS-PIE AQM in the MB8600. Well, yesterday I saw the same technician at another job and stopped to ask him some questions about DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 and QoS.

He told me that he is on the team in charge of infrastructure/hardware/firmware updates. To make a long story short here is what he had to say:
  • It's up to C1 to implement QoS on the downlink, the modem has nothing to do with it. Although it's not a requirement for DOCSIS 3.0, C1 has implemented a flavor of QoS. He said something about how it takes into account how each individual customer's modem is provisioned?
  • It's a requirement for DOCSIS 3.1 modems to SUPPORT AQM, as well as, provide the ISP the ability to turn it off. It's not a requirement for the modem to come with AQM turned on. He said that C1's config files do NOT turn off any AQM that may be preconfigured to be turned on, but they do NOT set any parameters to ensure it is turned on.
  • He did go on to say that in order for AQM to remain on (if the modem came preconfigured with it turned ON) the modem config files that the ISP push out must have certain older DOCSIS parameters set correctly. C1 does have those parameters set correctly.
He told me that most DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems only support AQM and do not have it turned on by default. He said that the Zoom MB8600 is the only modem HE knows of that is configured as such. He actually didn't believe me when I said AQM was turned on in my modem until we realized Zoom and Motorola are the same in this situation.
Failure to plan on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.

e38BimmerFN

Re: PSA - Motorola MB8600 & AQM turned on by default

Post by e38BimmerFN » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 pm

;)